Mamamia.com has a nice list of the myths that still often pervade thinking on vaccination. Please give it a read to be better informed on the issues, and misunderstandings.
MYTHS (and these are MYTHS)
- Myth 1: Vaccines cause autism.
- Myth 2: Vaccines contain mercury.
- Myth 3: Vaccines contain toxic ingredients.
- Myth 4: Vaccines have never been tested.
- Myth 5: Vaccines don’t work because children who are vaccinated can still get the disease.
- Myth 6: Improved living standards, not vaccination have reduced disease.
- Myth 7: Infectious diseases are not serious; children are meant to get them.
- Myth 8: Vaccines cause or spread the diseases they are supposed to prevent.
- Myth 9: My child’s immune system will be overwhelmed.