Tuesday, March 04, 2008

One last roll of the die

Sadly, the creator of Dungeons & Dragons, has passed.

Nerds everywhere will be grieving: Gary Gygax has died. I haven't played the game in a long time, but I had a lot of fun with it in my undergraduate years — if they haven't succumbed to mold and decay, I have the original manuals somewhere down in my basement. I also had a set of miniatures, but those definitely got battered into shapelessness by my kids playing with them (but I win in the end, since my oldest son left a huge collection of his fancy miniatures at my house. Maybe I won't give them back.) My thanks to Gygax and his colleague Dave Arneson for some good old fun times with my geeky pals.

...
Gygax set down a lot of the basics of role playing games, and those things that expanded out from it.

He was a nice and creative fellow. And I have heard he was a kind guy, and good to know, and thrilled to meet with fans.

He will be missed. [Obvious RPG joke avoided.]

No comments: