Saturday, March 29, 2008

Let's not go to South Park.


I kind of liked this commentary of South Park. I have never been much of a fan of the show.

Pandagon:
While I agree with the notion that some well-placed, demoralizing-our-enemies humor is just the thing liberals need to embrace, this essay is all wrong about “South Park”. When they get political for the libertarian-right on “South Park”, their entire sense of humor flies out the window. I watch every episode until some person—usually a child or a member of disempowered minority—starts to sentimentally parrot some bullshit libertarian concept that’s not been thought through on any level past the bumper sticker stage, and I shut it off. It’s the same trick that “Day by Day” pulls by putting evil conservative ideas in the mouth of a hip young black man. The problem with that show, and it’s appeal to right wing morons, is not that it’s irreverent. It’s that it’s reverent, and of the most asinine shit ever.

Other than that, though, the show is damn funny.
When the show goes into the libertarian spiel, they do become bores. It is like when Penn and Teller go into the same stuff on Bullshit and really loose all objectivity, using the types of arguments they mock creationists for using to attack Global Warming.

But, really, I don't care much for most of the show, even without the libertarian bent. I will be charitable and leave to being not for my sense of humor overall. It is and can be funny, but they loose me quickly when I turn it on. Like the mocking of Mel Gibson, I am all for that, then he pops up at the end and defecates in a kid's face...really? I am reminded of the point the show made of declaring that Family Guy relied on platypuses. And they admit they do use random joke drops in the show, and it has done them well. Fans, like me, love it. To my thinking, South Park makes whole episodes out of a platypus, with shows, no two episodes, about a George Clooney smug storm. That would be a 5 to 10 second bit on Family Guy, but these guys make it into an hour...eh.

No comments: