Thursday, July 12, 2012

Dredd: Judgement is coming.

I have heard for quite a while that a new Judge Dredd movie was in the works. It stars Karl Urban (Star Trek (2009), Lord of the Rings, Xena). And at first I was excited, as Dredd is such an interesting character coming out of the Thatcher era Britain, telling the story of one of the remaining cities on Earth, controlled and patrolled by men like Dredd.

Then I saw some pictures of the set, and a normal looking truck being used as one of the future vehicles. And I was worried. Despite the issues of the Stallone Judge Dredd movie, it got the look of the city and technology right. This one looked to be going more modern. Which makes sense to save money in one place to spend it better (One hopes.) elsewhere.

I have seen the new trailer out for the movie. And hope comes from Dredd. Rather Dredd 3D. 2D, 3D, all I know is I will see this movie. It looks great. The vehicle tech is toned down from much of what started in 2000 A.D. (The scifi anthology comic Dredd comes out of.). But who cares? The modified judge costumes look to work to great effect. The nondomed Mega City 1 works for me. Having Judge Anderson, the psychic judge, works. The judge's trusty sidearm is looking good. And Karl Urban, from the little I see, is Dredd.

I am looking forward to this movie.




Here is a clip from the movie, it showcases what looks like the 3D effect, and the intense violence the movie is going to have (So, you've been warned.).



No comments: